In this article:
- Create an approval process
- Save your approval process in a template
- Edit your approval templates
Gain allows you to add one or more content approvers and combine them into multiple rounds with special rules which you can save and reuse. Learn how to create an approval template that’s flexible enough for simple, one-person approvals or complex multi-person workflows.
In the Approval Templates section under People, Workflow, Settings, you can set up templates for your brand.
Create an approval process
Here is a typical approval process setup for an agency working with a large brand:
This example assumes that content is being managed and created by team members that work under the direction of a lead Social Media Manager who is first to review and approve content internally.
Each stage of the process is called a “round” and has options that affect how the approval process flows. Here are the options to customize each round:
- Everyone must approve / any single person can approve - When the round is set to “everyone must approve”, every single person in that round must give the okay to the content before the process can continue to the next round. When the round is set to “any single person can approve”, as soon as one Approver gives the okay, the whole round is marked approved.
- Auto advance to next round after approved - With this option selected, as soon as a round is approved Gain will automatically move content to the next round (including sending the appropriate notifications to the next Approvers). When this option is off, content will be marked "ready for next round" and it is up to your team to manually continue the approval process.
- Auto schedule post after all approved - With this option on, content will be automatically scheduled (assuming you've set a future publishing date for it) once all rounds have been approved. When this option is off it is up to you to manually schedule the post.
Save your approval process in a template
You could set up the approval process manually for each piece of content, but that would be a cumbersome task. To help with this, Gain lets you define approval templates that you can then use on individual posts.
Here are the steps to create a new template:
- Go to Create New Template. A new blank template will show up prompting you to Add a new approval round.
Important: Only people that have access to this brand will appear under the “Select an approver” list. So make sure the users who will approve content for this brand or channel have access to your Gain account first.
2. After choosing a user from the dropdown list, you can add another approver to this round or add a new round.
3. Once you are done setting up your template, go ahead and give your template a meaningful name. Anything that helps you recognize the template quickly, know who is in it, or remember where it belongs. Click Change name next to “New Approval Template” to change the title of your template, or next to “Round 1” you can change the name of each round.
Now that your template is set up, you're ready to start sending content for approval through this workflow. Next time you send content to approval, just select your new template from the drop-down options.
Edit your approval templates
Sometimes your content Approvers will need to be replaced. To replace them, add another Approver to the round first and then remove the old Approver.
Important: After the changes are made to the template, make sure to update any content already using this workflow. Every post will need to be sent to approval again using the new template.
Now that your approval workflow is set up, you’re going to want to start sending content off for approval. Learn everything you need to know about sending content to your clients.