Confirm your Instagram profile is correctly associated with a Facebook page
In this article:
- Confirm your Instagram Business Account is correctly associated with a Facebook Page
- Switching Account Type
Confirm your Instagram Business Account is correctly associated with a Facebook Page
Facebook requires that all Instagram Business accounts are associated with a Facebook Page for authentication purposes. If your Instagram Business account isn't synced to a Facebook page, you will not be able to activate direct publishing in Gain. In this article, we'll check step-by-step every place where you can confirm if your page is properly associated with a Facebook page.
Keep in mind that for direct publishing to work properly, you must:
- Have a Facebook page correctly associated with your Instagram Business Accounts. You can confirm if your account is associated with a page by going to your profile settings in Instagram, Facebook Page Settings, and Business Suite (formerly Business Manager).
- Your Instagram account has to be a business account and not a creator account.
- Your Facebook Profile must be a “Page Admin” for the page that you'd like to link to your Instagram account. You can check the pages you manage here. From this section, select the page you'd like to connect to, click Settings > Page Roles, and confirm you've got the proper permissions.
Note: Other roles like Editor or Moderator of a Facebook page, for example, cannot connect a page to Gain. For more information on all Page roles and capabilities, see Facebook Help Center - Page Roles.
Here's an example of what a typical Page Roles section looks like:
- If you were given access to manage a Page via Business Suite (formerly Business Manager), you need admin access to the Business itself in Business Settings or Full Control to manage the page.
- If your Business was given access as a Partner to manage a page or assets for another business via Business Suite, confirm that you have Full Control to manage the page in your Business Settings.
Checking Instagram Settings
An additional requirement by Facebook is that your Instagram account is associated with a page from the Instagram app. You can see if your page is properly synced under Sharing to Other Apps or Linked Accounts in your Instagram app settings.
- Click on the hamburger icon.
2. Then, click on Settings
3. Select Account > Sharing to Other Apps > Facebook.
4. Be sure the correct Facebook Page is listed under Share To.
If your Facebook page isn't listed, follow the instructions to do so. Then, come back to Gain and reconnect the Instagram account from Workflow Settings > Social Channels.
Checking Facebook Page Settings
If anything other than "Connected Instagram Account" shows up in your Page Settings > Instagram section, then it means your account has not been turned into a business account properly. Follow the steps below to confirm:
1. Click here to access the list of pages you manage. Click on the page you have associated with your Instagram account, or create a new page if you don't have one yet.
2. Next, click on Settings at the bottom of the left-hand sidebar.
3. Select Instagram and then confirm the right Facebook Page is listed. Note: If you see an option to Get Started or Switch Now, click on the button and follow the on-screen instructions to convert your Instagram account to a business account. If you see the button to Review Connection, click the button and follow the steps to reconnect.
Checking in Business Manager
As stated earlier, if you were given access to manage a Page via Business Suite (formerly Business Manager), you need admin access to the Business itself in Business Settings or Full Control to manage the page. If your Business was given access as a Partner to manage a page or assets for another business via Business Suite, confirm that you have Full Control to manage the page in your Business Settings.
If you don't see the business name listed in the dropdown menu or your not a Full Admin for the Page in Business Suite, you'll have to ask the business owner to make you an admin. For more details, check out this article on Facebook.
Now, if you're an admin of the Business, follow the instructions below to confirm you've got access to the Facebook page and Instagram account.
1. Head to Business Manager and select the name of the Business.
2. Click on Business Settings on the left-hand sidebar.
3. Under Accounts, select Instagram Accounts. You should see your Instagram account connected here. If you don't, follow the on-screen instructions to add one.
4. Select Pages, confirm that your Facebook profile has Full Control to manage the page(s) associated with the Instagram account(s) you're trying to connect.
Switch Account Type
If you are certain that a Facebook Page is properly associated with the Instagram Business Account. Still, you continue to experience issues when trying to publish posts, and then we suggest that you switch your Business account back to a personal profile. Then, reconvert it to a Business Account and try to publish posts again.
Here's how to switch your account type:
1. Open the Instagram app on your phone and click on the hamburger icon.
2. Click on Settings.
3. Click on Account, scroll to the bottom and click on Switch Personal Account.
4. Select Switch to Personal Account. Confirm by clicking on Switch Back.
5. Once you see confirmation that your account is a personal profile, click here to access the list of pages you manage.
6. Click on the page that you'll associate with your Instagram account.
7. Next, click on Settings at the bottom of the left-hand sidebar.
8. Select Instagram and then click on the Switch Now button.
9. Finally, follow the on-screen instructions to set up your business account again.
Once you're through with all the steps, you should see this success screen: