How to set up your Facebook and Instagram permissions
In this article, we'll cover the steps to give people on your team admin permission to your Facebook and Instagram accounts so that they can connect Facebook Pages and Instagram Business accounts to Gain.
In this article
To connect Facebook Pages and Instagram Business Accounts to Gain, you must be an admin of the Facebook Page, and the Instagram Business Accounts must be associated with a page.
Roles may differ if you manage a Classic Page or a page in the new Pages experience. Here's how roles compare:
- As long as you have admin access to the Facebook Page and that page is correctly associated with the Instagram Business account, you won't need an Instagram account's password to connect an Instagram Business to Gain.
- When you connect an Instagram Business account to Gain, Facebook allows us to publish content on your behalf. Once you grant Gain access to publish on your behalf, Facebook generates a temporary access token that expires every 60 days. Any time the access token expires, a user with Full control to manage a Facebook Page is the only one who can reconnect Gain to renew the access token.
Note: To connect Instagram Personal profiles to Gain, you need to be logged in on the Instagram Personal profile on a separate tab in your browser.
How to give people admin access
When you create a Facebook Page, you automatically become that page's admin, meaning you can publish as the page, assign, and change others' roles. To connect a Facebook Page to Gain, your Facebook Profile requires access with full control. If you need someone else to connect your profiles to Gain, they'll need full control to manage your page.
Important: Not everyone who creates content for your business via Gain needs Full control or Admin access. At least one person in your Gain account needs to have Full control to connect the Facebook Page or Instagram profile to Gain and reconnect it from time to time when the permission (access token) expires.
Assign People with Facebook access
- Click here to access your page settings.
- Click Add New and search for the person you'll grant access to.
- Allow this person to have full control and click Give Access.
Assign roles via Business settings
If you have a Meta Business and manage your Facebook Pages and Instagram accounts there, you can assign people permissions via Business settings.
- Under Pages, you can add people to Facebook Pages and assign them Full control.
- Under Instagram accounts, you can give people access to post to your Instagram profiles. However, at the moment, this will only allow them to post via Meta Business Suite rather than directly on the Instagram app.
- Under People, you can add people to your Meta Business and allow Full control of a Facebook Page and Instagram account (referred to as assets).
Important: Turning on two-factor authentication will help you avoid publishing and reconnection issues in Gain; if you're an admin of a page, turn on two-factor authentication for your personal Facebook profile.