Why can't I connect an Instagram Business account to Gain?
In this article:
Before you get started
The complexity of the Facebook and Instagram API sometimes makes it difficult to understand why you can't connect some accounts but can easily connect others. If you don't see your new Instagram business account listed when trying to connect it to Gain or if you're receiving an error when trying to reconnect your Business account after it's become disconnected, then follow the steps in this guide to troubleshoot the most common problems.
Keep in mind that for direct publishing to work properly, you must:
- Have a Facebook page correctly associated with your Instagram Business Accounts. You can confirm if your account is associated with a page by going to your profile settings in Instagram, Facebook Page Settings, and Business Suite (formerly Business Manager).
- Your Instagram account has to be a business account and not a creator account.
- Your Facebook Profile must be a “Page Admin” for the page that you'd like to link to your Instagram account. You can check the pages you manage here. From this section, select the page you'd like to connect to, click Settings > Page Roles, and confirm you've got the proper permissions.
Note: Other roles like Editor or Moderator of a Facebook page, for example, cannot connect a page to Gain. For more information on all Page roles and capabilities, see Facebook Help Center - Page Roles.
Here's an example of what a typical Page Roles section looks like:
- If you were given access to manage a Page via Business Suite (formerly Business Manager), you need admin access to the Business itself in Business Settings or Full Control to manage the page.
- If your Business was given access as a Partner to manage a page or assets for another business via Business Suite, confirm that you have Full Control to manage the page in your Business Settings.
Connecting an Instagram Account
- Go to Workspace Settings > Social Channels, on this page click +New Social Channel.
- If you're redirected to Facebook, allow Gain access to post to the Instagram accounts connected to your Facebook pages. You can do this by clicking on "Choose what you allow":
Then, selecting the Instagram account(s), you need to publish to:
- If you don't see an option to "Choose what you allow," then head to your Business Integrations. Make sure Gain has permission to “Access profile and posts from the Instagram account connected to your Page” then, click Save.
Now the account(s) will show up in Gain so that you can connect them.
I followed the steps to connect, but it’s not working
If you're sure you're an admin of the Facebook Page and Instagram is properly set up as a business account but still can't connect the Instagram account to Gain. Then, the next step is to remove Gain from your Business Integrations. Click here to go to your Business Integrations, then follow the steps below:
1. Find Gain on the list and click on View and edit. In the modal window, confirm if Gain still has permission to receive information and manage features for the Instagram account(s) you manage.
2. If all options are checked in blue, click Remove to remove Gain from Facebook's Business Integrations. Don't worry, doing this won't delete any content from either Gain or Facebook.
3. Finally, come back to Gain. Go to Workspace Settings > Social Channels and try to connect the page again. If you're unable to connect it, please contact Support.