Send Content for Approval
In this guide, we'll walk you through the steps you need to take to ensure your content gets the green light from your stakeholders before going live.
In this article
To get started, select the content you want to submit for approval and click To Approval. You have the option to:
- Choose an Approval Workflow, which are predefined templates in your Workspace Settings.
- Select approvers from the People in your workspace.
With your workflow or approvers assigned, click Send. You can also write a note and preview it by clicking on Preview Email. Your note will be visible to you later in the Activity tracker.
Note: Approvers receive a single notification for a batch of content, even if multiple pieces are submitted.
After submitting content for approval, you'll notice that its status changes and progresses through different phases: from Draft to Pending Approval, Revision, Ready for Next Round, and Approved. You can keep an eye out for status changes from different views, like the calendar or gallery, and use filters to create custom views.
Here's what each status means:
- Pending Approval: Content in this status is marked with a yellow label. Gain sends an email notification and reminders if your approvers haven't logged in within 6 hours.
- Revision: Content in this status is marked with an orange label. Approvers have left changes or feedback on the content. It's your turn to make changes and send content back for final approval.
- Ready for Next Round: Content in this status is marked with a dark green label and only shows up if your round preference is Must manually advance to the next round after approved. It means the content was approved by the previous round and is ready to move to the next round.
- Approved: Content in this status is marked in a light green label. If the last round of your approval workflow is not set to Auto-schedule after approved, you'll need to manually schedule the post when necessary.
You can track changes and approvals in the Activity and Approval trackers for each content item. These are detailed logs of changes, comments, and approvals. You'll also get notifications when someone approves or requests changes to content.
- See detailed logs of all the activity that happens in each content item, including changes and approvals, with names and timestamps. This Activity log is only accessible to administrators, publishers, and contributors.
- Track the approval process from the Approval section. From this section, you can override someone's approval, edit a step of the process if you need to add or remove someone, ask questions, and renotify approvers.
Mark Content Approved
You can override or mark content approved on behalf of someone else if that person is not available from the Approval tab in the content editor. Find the three dots next to the person's name, and click Mark Approved. Write a note and click Send.
Edit an Approval Round
You can modify rounds marked in gray either by removing someone or changing the round preferences. A gray round indicates no email notifications have been sent by Gain to the people in that round. If a round is yellow, orange, or green, it cannot be edited.
- Click the three dots in the round, and then click Edit.
2. You can remove or include additional people in the round or adjust the approval settings for this specific round. Click Save to confirm your changes.
Note: These steps only alter the approval process for the current item. Permanent changes to approval workflows should be made in "Approval Workflows" under Workspace Settings.
Whenever you send content for approval, approvers will receive an initial notification, and there's no option to turn it off. On the other hand, Gain will send automatic reminders; approvers can turn these off from their Notification Preferences. After content is approved, Gain stops sending reminders until new content is submitted for approval.
- Reminders are sent every 6, 12, 24, 48, and 72 hours following the initial notification.
- Approvers receive a single notification for a batch of content, even if multiple items are submitted for approval.
To send a reminder or resend content approval after revisions were made, click Resend to Approval.