Setup Direct Publishing for Instagram (through Buffer)
In this article:
- Connect Instagram to Buffer
- Connect Gain to Buffer
- Publishing to Instagram
- Disconnect Buffer from Gain
There are three ways to publish to Instagram in Gain:
For a clearer picture, see below:
This article will cover how to set up Direct Publishing via Buffer. To learn how to set up Push notifications, click here.
Before you get started
Remember, direct publishing is only available for Instagram Business Accounts. So, before you get started, make sure you set up a business profile first. Here’s how to set up an Instagram Business Account.
You will also need to make sure your Instagram accounts are connected to Gain. To do so, go to Workspace Settings > Social Channels and click on +Add a Channel.
Connect Instagram to Buffer
To publish directly to Instagram, you will need to set up a Buffer account with all the Instagram Business accounts you’ve already set up on Gain.
Note: Buffer offers a basic free plan that includes 3 social accounts, 10 scheduled posts, and 1 user. Click here for more details.
- From the Buffer Dashboard, click on Connect Your Social Accounts and follow the instructions to set up your Instagram accounts.
- Click I’ve enabled Push Notifications. You’re required to set up push notifications to set up your Instagram accounts in Buffer but you will still receive push notification reminders to post from Gain.
- Once push notifications are enabled, you can set up Direct Publishing by clicking on Yes, let’s do it!
4. Next, click on Continue and Authenticate with Facebook* and follow the instructions.
*Facebook requires Instagram Business Accounts to be connected to a Facebook page. Here’s an article that explains how to do so.
That’s it! You’ve successfully connected your Business Instagram accounts to Buffer.
Connect Gain to Buffer
Now, it’s time to enable Direct Publishing in Gain.
- Go to Workspace Settings > Social Channels, choose your Instagram channel from the list, and click on Authorize with Buffer.
2. Follow the instructions to authorize Buffer to post to Instagram.
Great! You can now begin to schedule and publish content on Instagram.
Publishing to Instagram
Once your channels are successfully connected, you can begin creating and scheduling content as you would for any other channel. Drafting, approvals, and scheduling (as well as reminders for Stories and multi-image posts) are all done via Gain.
Gain will send your scheduled Instagram posts to the Buffer API only when their time to publish comes around.
Note: the Instagram API does not support direct publishing for Instagram Stories and multiple image posts. You will still receive reminders when it’s time to publish them via the Gain Notify app.
What happens if a post fails to publish?
As with posts scheduled on other social networks, Gain will notify you if an error occurs via email and in the All Activity panel.
Disconnect Buffer from Gain
Disconnecting from Buffer is as easy as connecting to it.
1. Go to Workspace Settings > Social Channels, choose your Instagram channel from the list, and click on Disconnect from Buffer. 2. Click OK to confirm.
We understand it requires a few extra steps to set up direct publishing to Instagram for your single-image posts. If you encounter any issues throughout the process, don’t hesitate to reach out to email@example.com or send us a chat. We’re just an email away!
Additionally, you can check out this troubleshooting guide by the Buffer team.
How to reauthorize your Instagram accounts on Buffer
Occasionally, on Buffer, Instagram accounts may need to be reauthorized due to password changes or policies set by the social network.
When this happens, you can reauthorize the "disconnected" account so that you're able to start scheduling content again. Only the administrator of the Buffer account can reauthorize a disconnected Instagram account.
To reauthorize the account, go to publish.buffer.com > Manage Social Accounts. Then click on “ Reconnect” and follow the instructions to authenticate your account.